get social

          

Thursday, 16 July 2015

The Thought Of Going Back To Uni...

University can be a struggle at the best of times: trying to find the motivation to write a really good piece, or building up that drive within yourself to keep working towards your goal. Unlike school, where praise and guidance was handed on a plate, university comes with no cushion to fall onto. The things you do, you do them for yourself. Yes, lectures care if you do well, but it is not their job to make sure you're meeting personal targets and maintaining semester-long goals.

As much as society tells us that students have it easy (which hey, we do sometimes- I mean who's going to complain about a low interest loan, a few days off a week and endless nights out with friends?) it is still a struggle. Unless you're the type of person who can make yourself a routine, and the tricky part of actually sticking to it, uni can be tough. Especially on the mind. You're expect to pour your heart and soul into a project, with little feedback on the way, and for your grade to mainly consist of one big fat exam at the end. I don't know about you, but I don't know that fair. 

Luckily for me, my course is made up of coursework (with the occassional exam, e.g. shorthand, thrown in along the way) but this means constant deadlines. I don't have the time to just sit about waiting for that bit of inspiration to come along; if I have writer's block that week? Too bad, suck it up. Some essays I hand in I genuienly am proud of, and others I know I could have done better in. And while yes this is partly my fault, it is also a flaw in the system. 

A University semester is compact. An entire grade that counts towards your end degree is based upon just under 5 months. And then we get the entire summer off. Whilst I enjoy a lot of holidays, it does stress me out that I need to squeeze my best abilities into a short period of time. A time where I'm stressed with constant deadlines and endless amount of work. I'm not saying Uni should be longer and there should be less holiday (cos I'd be crazy if I said that) but maybe there should be an alternative to the system which is implemented right now. 

What do you fellow students feel? Do you get stressed throughout the term?

I'd love to hear your thoughts!

Eve xo

No comments:

Post a Comment

TEMPLATE DESIGNED BY PRETTYWILDTHINGS